last night my local time (15 March 2011) IE 9 launched officially, it seems that this IE version is the most waited version of IE… first, better UI, larger content, not bars!! that sucks, and the biggest reason is html 5 support, and performance, IE 6 is quite light but, it don’t have a tabbed browsing, IE 7 gives tabbed browsing but feels very heavy on every tab load, IE 8 not giving too much difference for me tough… in the end, i still hate IE (hail firefox addons).
ok, back to the topic… i’ll share you my experience installing IE 9 last night, the official web for IE 9 is http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/, requirement:
- Windows Vista (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 (SP 2)
- Windows 7 (x86 and x64)
- Windows Server 2008 (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 (SP 2)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
- Windows XP NOT SUPPORTED (up to IE 8)
- go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2399238 and download the IE 9 prerequisite for your version of windows, install it and reboot
- go to http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/ and click the download link, and you’ll get web installer (about 500kb) that sucks because you’ll have to download more files on installation, (hint: use download manager if you find difficulty downloading, coz it happen to me, the connection always dropped every about 25-50kb of download) and launch the web installer, follow the instruction and you should be fine (but apparently not)
the web installer always get the same problem when i download it, disconnected download of the real installer, and it’ll make a web link on your desktop to a support site that will give you hint to the problem, i’ll go for the offline installation link (location 2) to prevent the download. but it gives me the same file (about 500kb) web installer, what happening here?
it seems that the link given by the support site is obsolete, or the link has changed, lucky i see through the site carefully and found the right link below the select your version selection, select the language of your choice and 32bit or 64bit version, and you’ll get the offline installer. again, download it, install, and happy surfing…
nb: you can save this file for sharing or another installation of the same version of windows, time to wait for FF4 release…